“I would like to express my most heartfelt thanks for the many messages of support and good wishes I have received in recent days,” Charles, 75, said in a message released by Buckingham Palace. “As all those who have been affected by cancer will know, such kind thoughts are the greatest comfort and encouragement.”
“It is equally heartening to hear how sharing my own diagnosis has helped promote public understanding and shine a light on the work of all those organizations which support cancer patients and their families across the UK and wider world,” the monarch continued. “My lifelong admiration for their tireless care and dedication is all the greater as a result of my own personal experience.”
And on Sunday, Charles and his wife, Queen Camilla, 76, were seen attending church in Sandringham — his first public appearance since the Palace revealed that while undergoing a procedure for an enlarged prostate, doctors discovered “a separate issue of concern” that requires treatment.
“During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted,” the Feb. 5 statement read. “Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.”
The Palace later clarified that the cancer is not prostate cancer.
“His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual,” last week’s statement continued.
“The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure,” the statement read. “He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.”
According to the statement, Charles chose to make his diagnosis public to “prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
Upon hearing the news, Prince Harry, 39, immediately jetted to the UK to see his father.
He arrived around 2 p.m. local time on Tuesday and proceeded to meet with His Majesty for only 45 minutes before returning to the London hotel where he was reportedly staying.
Noticeably absent was Harry’s wife, Meghan Markle, who seemingly opted not to accompany her husband on his brief trip because, according to former royal butler Grant Harrold, he felt that this was something he needed to do alone — and she was able to stay with their two kids.
“Meghan made the decision that it was best to stay home with the children, and maybe she feels that this is something Harry has got to do alone,” Harrold told The Post. “It’s his father. She’s aware of the close relationship and probably encouraged him to come over.”
A source told The Post that the Prince of Wales had “no plans” to see Harry as he returned to royal duties on Wednesday.
Harry and William have reportedly not spoken to each other for over a year, despite both attending their father’s coronation in May 2023.
This story originally appeared on NY Post