Matthew Perry wanted to help others who struggled with drug abuse before his tragic death.
According to People, the “Friends” star planned to create an organization to aid those who suffered with substance issues — 10 years after he established the male sober living facility Perry House.
The actor died on Saturday at the age of 54 of an apparent drowning in his hot tub, and his pals believe that they can form the institution as a way to honor him.
The Canadian native has been open with his own issues with drugs over the course of his career.
His problems began when he overused Vicodin following a jet ski accident in 1997. He later completed a stint in rehab that same year.
At the height of his struggles, he would take 55 of the pills per day, causing his weight to drop to 128 pounds.
In his memoir, “Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing,” Perry described his substances problems at length, explaining that he attended about 6,000 Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and went to rehab 15 times.
Additionally, he estimated that he spent around $9 million trying to get sober.
“Not only do I have the disease, but I also have it bad. I have it as bad as you can have it, in fact. It’s back-to-the-wall time all the time. It’s going to kill me,” the “Serving Sara” actor wrote.
“Robert Downey Jr., talking about his own addiction, once said, ‘It’s like I have a gun in my mouth with my finger on the trigger, and I like the taste of the metal.’ I got it. I understand that,” he went on.
Perry continued: “Even on good days, when I’m sober and I’m looking forward, it’s still with me all the time. There’s still a gun. Fortunately, I guess, there’s not enough opiates in the world to make me high anymore.”
In 2013, he founded Perry’s House at his Malibu residence for men who have alcoholism.
“I’ve had a lot of ups and downs in my life and a lot of wonderful accolades,” Perry told The Hollywood Reporter in 2015. “The best thing about me is that if an alcoholic comes up to me and says, ‘Will you help me stop drinking?’ I will say, ‘Yes. I know how to do that.’”
“I’m keeping the business going because I like it; it’s a good way to help alcoholics,” he revealed to the outlet. That same year, he made the difficult decision to shut down the foundation.
Perry had been sober and attempting to live a healthier life in recent years.
At the time of his death, prescription medications were found in his home. However, no drugs were found at the scene and no foul play is suspected. An autopsy has been completed and the cause of death is “deferred” pending toxicology testing.
This story originally appeared on NY Post