Chris Redd says he is “ok and healing fast” after a stranger attacked him earlier this week in New York City.
The “Saturday Night Live” alum posted a health update Sunday on his Instagram story and vowed to reschedule “any shows” he missed because of the incident. On Wednesday, an unknown assailant punched the comedian in the face outside the Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village.
The New York Police Department told The Times on Thursday that Redd sustained a laceration to his face and was transported by emergency medical services to Bellevue Hospital, where he was treated and released. At the time, the suspect had not been identified or apprehended.
“I’ve been resting up like crazy but I want to say thank you thank you thank you for all the messages of love, the jokes, and the concern!” Redd wrote Sunday on Instagram. “I’ll be back up talking some good s— very soon.”
Redd also denied reports that his attacker “snatched” a chain he was wearing around his neck during the encounter.
“Y’all will just write anything !!” he said.
According to his Facebook page, Redd was scheduled to perform stand-up in New York City on Sunday, followed by shows in Tacoma, Wash. (Nov. 11-13), Rochester, N.Y. (Nov. 17-19), Springfield, Mo. (Dec. 2-3), and East Providence, R.I. (Dec. 15-17).
In September, The Times confirmed that Redd would not be returning for the 48th season of “Saturday Night Live.” The 37-year-old comic — known during his time on the show for his impressions of prominent figures such as New York City Mayor Eric Adams and rapper Kanye West — was among several veteran cast members to exit the long-running sketch comedy series after Season 47.
Earlier this month, the comic released a trailer for his comedy special, “Why Am I Like This?,” which begins streaming Nov. 3 on HBO Max.
This story originally appeared on LATimes